Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Plans Plans Plans

Kai, this one's for you to answer your question on Multiply

As you can see in the last picture, I have started to take the ceiling down. The leaks destroyed the ceiling panels from one end to another. I plan to pull the overhead cabinets down, Check for any more leaks, insulate and replace the ceiling panels. They are basically luan with vinyl/fiberglass coating on one side, like you might put in a shower wall, riveted into the aluminum supports then trimmed. The walls in the bathroom need to be replaced as well. These run about $12 per 4x8' sheet so not to bad at all.

After that I may replace the carpeting and pad, paint a few of the interior walls (dining area) to brighten it up a bit (may use paintable wallpaper like this) Remove the paint from the kitchen and dining room drawer and cabinet faces and re-stain them to match the rear cabinets or go a bit darker like 'espresso'.

I will take the covers off the cushions to see if they can be washed without falling apart to get some of the stink out... I'll steam the foam to bring it back to life, and see about re-installing them as is. Some are pretty torn up (hidden in the pictures) so I may sew new covers for the cushions. The Roman shades are going away as well and will be replaced with new curtains. The purpled tint will come off the windows and will be replaced with limo tint again (like I did in the trailer).

I still need to test the LP systems like the furnace and water heater, replace the winterizing valves in the water system that refuse to seal closed. The 12v pump cannot shut off when it's on as there is a constant pressure drop do to these leaks.

Soooo... that is what's needed to get it Camp-able, then we go to the outside where the real fun begins.

Stripping all the paint and polishing the lower half. Stripping the vinyl woodgrain finish and painting the upper section blood red to match the interior. This will also wrap around the front  under the windshield and on the back around the window above the bustle (trunk). The bumpers will also get stripped and polished as well as the hub caps will get brightened up a bit.

Hopefully I can find an awning to replace the one that is missing, and then that would just about do it. Other than the steps I had to rebuild, the rest of the rig is pretty solid structurally, so it just required some tweaking. :)

Oh, and I need to build the slide out to support that rear bed, those cushions were just floating there in the pictures.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds rad!! Are you keeping with the orig style, or are you going to personalize it some?
    I didn't know about steaming foam...take pics of it.
    p.s. how do I subscribe and get email notifications?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will keep with the original style, may go with dark carpet, like what you might find in an office building, or shag... obviously one is easier to clean and more durable. :)

    But yes, I'll try for the modern 70's if that makes sense, I don't see too much with new RV's these days that stand out too much, so I'll stick with the dark wood for the cabinets, maybe go darker like an espresso color... new vintage look pull knobs,some sort of tweed or corduroy for the cushions (not doing vinyl again), and white walls instead of the wood grain. May do paintable wallpaper for some texture.

    All upholsterers have a steamer, it fluffs old foam back to life like you wouldn't believe... I'll take a video of it when I do it and post it... the heat and moisture helps to kill some of the smell as well. So those rounded corners become squared again, like fluffing a pillow.

    You should see a Follow Button up in the right hand corner I think right now it's just Me and Andy. A pop up will ask you what account you want to follow it with,

    ReplyDelete